Sure, dogs in sweaters and coats are certainly adorable but for some of dog owners here in Ohio we know the stylish pooch is a must during the winter months. Some dogs are simply not bred to deal with the chill we face and you cannot stand to see them shiver and hesitate to even go out to do their business. However, with the help of the right fashion accessories your pup can be just as equipped as you are to brave the snow. Even when hanging around the house during the winter smaller and light bodied breeds, toy breeds, and breeds that naturally have very short or thin hair coats benefit from a warm dog sweater.
Now you might be asking, how can I find the right sweater or coat for my dog?
Here are the key points to consider:
- Measure your dogs neck, the largest part of the chest and distance from neck to waist
- You want the lower belly to be free from covering
- You want a snug fit so the item will not be pulled off easily
- You want to ensure the coat or sweater will not drag on the ground or get caught on something during exercise
- You also do not want the clothing to be too tight, just snug enough, ensure there is room to move in the underarms
- Consider different materials, how often they will need to be washed and any sensitivities your dog has
- Coats the may have hooks or zippers should be worn only under parental supervision for your pets safety so they are not tempted to chew on anything they shouldn't be
And always, feel welcome to bring your dog in to Style Mutt to be fitted. That is the easiest way to be sure you have found the perfect sweater or coat for your pet.
Happy Holidays and stay warm!